The Arctic Portal, www.arcticportal.org, is the Arctic Gateway, providing a comprehensive gateway access to the Arctic related information and data on the Internet. AP provides access to Arctic data, information and organizations across the Arctic, facilitating information sharing and cooperation between public and private parties. The portal is based in Akureyri, Iceland, managed as a non- profitable organization under an international board of directors. The principal functions of AP are:
1) the Gateway to Arctic information includes features such as: news from around the Arctic; information on the Arctic Council and other Arctic stakeholders; topic related portals; document and project database; virtual library; up-coming events; collection of relevant links; multimedia material including web casts, virtual conferences and videos; interactive mapping portal; webcams and weather in the Arctic; acronyms interpretation.
(2) Communication and outreach, support and hosting - providing consultation, technical and content support and web hosting to numerous Arctic organizations and projects
(3) Arctic Data Interface – the Central Database for the Arctic – developing the central database for the Arctic and designing a methodology, producing and facilitating an interoperable and scalable interfacing technology that allows retrieval and interfacing of observational metadata and consequently interpretation of data accessing tools with emphasis on Iceland as a service provider to the international Circumpolar Sustained Arctic Observing Networks (SAON) and its tasks - www.arcticobserving.org.
(4) Participation in international projects of Arctic importance and relevance
(5) Participation in organizing events, workshops and conferences incl.
Main tasks in the project
AP will be a partner in WP 10 – Management focusing on dissemination activities and data management tasks.
AP staff involved in Nunataryuk